Sunday, March 25, 2012

The New Farm Animals

I just got myself six new chickens yesterday. They are the Welsummer breed, and I am hoping that the majority will be hens. It would also be nice to have one rooster. You can't quite see from the picture, but there is a runt. It just happens to be the friendliest of the six; unfortunately, if any of them die in the first few months it will most likely be the runt. I plan on designing and building a mobile chicken hut for the chickens so I can move them around the orchard and even into the goat pen when the grass starts to get tall. The more bugs and grass they eat, the less I have to spend on feed. It hopefully will make the orchard and garden healthier. Another reason why I want a mobile chicken hut is so I can take it with me when I eventually move further away from town. So for me, it is economical to have one.


Not to advertise for someone, but I plan on building a mobile chicken hut similar to the one at this website:
http://catawbacoops.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment