Thursday, May 2, 2013

Aumsville Ponds and other sights

Yesterday I went to the Aumsville Ponds County Park for the first time. I was quite nice to see it this time of year. This small park has a trail that snakes around the largest pond "Young Lake" and through some lowland forest.  As I was walking  I saw two deer roughly 40 feet away from me that ran off before I could take a good picture. I also saw a Great Blue Heron there as well. Fishing, hiking, and water activities are available at the park. Water activities includes kayaking, canoeing, and fishing. Motorized boats are not allowed. While Young Lake is roughly 1/5 the surface area of the Silverton Reservoir, it provides several inlets and an island to make it interesting enough to kayak on. For birdwatchers, being on the water can bring a whole new perspective.

If you really want to make the most of your visit to this park, I suggest a morning hike on the loop trail, followed by kayaking (or canoeing) and a picnic. If it is really hot out, like in August, an afternoon swim might be a nice idea.

Young Lake

One of the small ponds

 Another small pond
 
Young Lake

 Geese in Young Lake

Above shows the 'island' of Young Lake.
An 8 foot wide channel creates the island during the wet season.
 
 Great Blue Heron




Leaving the Aumsville Ponds behind I went to Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge. I have been there before on a hike, but this time, I wanted to check out the spots I didn't see last time. That let me to a boardwalk that snaked through the trees. Just like last time I was at this refuge, I didn't see the variety of animals that I see at other places. As such, I most likely won't visit this place in the Springtime again.

 The boardwalk trail

Before coming home, I decided to make a loop on some country roads in Marion county. That led me to at least one Buffalo (American Bison) farm and a barn that I would love to have.

 One of the 'Buffalo' Farms

 The barn I liked

No comments:

Post a Comment