Monday, January 14, 2013

My First 'Real Winter' Visit to Silver Falls State Park

Even though I was at Silver Falls State Park on January 1st, it seemed that the waterfalls haven't been gripped by winter yet. While I originally planned to go to the park again tomorrow, when I was in Stayton this morning, I change my mind when I saw the sunny skies toward the mountains. After going back home to pick up my camera, I headed out there. It was 27 degrees with blue sky when I got there, and only went up 3 degrees by the time I left. I first went to check out the South Falls, and once in the canyon, I decided it was the only one I would see today as I wasn't in enough layers to keep me warm.


Yes, those are icicles you see. 

 The one above is South Falls; the one below is Frenchie Falls.


After viewing the waterfall, I went to the nature store to buy a patch to sew to one of my coats. I also bought a bookmark and a 2-year state park pass for $50.00 (the one-year pass is $30.00).

The Nature Store at Silver Falls State Park

It might be hard to read the bookmark due to the glare of the flash, but it says: 
"Advice from a Beaver
Keep Busy
Be Constructive
Chew Your Food Well
Work Together
Be Eager
Build on your Dreams
Don't be a Stick in the Mud!
 -Ilan Shamin-"

No comments:

Post a Comment