Monday, January 28, 2013

Coin Pouches

I have seen a few coin pouches that the Japanese have had over the years, and it got me thinking "What if I made one by crocheting?" So a few weeks back, I made two different pouches about the size of a wallet that I like to call Generation I. Each is slightly different, the brown one is made with acrylic yarn with a spiral threading, while the other is made with wool yarn and had a different style of threading that was easier to thread. With Generation I, I learned three things, a spiral threading is harder to do, I needed a button to keep the pouch closed, and I needed a stronger material to loop over the button. As for the material of the pouch itself, it didn't seem to matter.

Generation I with drawstring loops

Next came Generation II, where I used leather lacing for the thread, loop, and to hold the button in place. As for the button, I wanted a natural material, so I chose the cheapest wood button I could find. This time I found out that yarn works best to thread together the sides of the pouch, and that the loop should have its ends closer tot he middle, otherwise the coins might fall out. So for Generation III, I plan on doing just that. Once my parents have their cows butchered next month, I plan on buying the cow hides back for $25 each to turn into leather for an all-leather pouch with a wooden button.

Generation II with button and loop

No comments:

Post a Comment