Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Just As I Predicted....

Just as I predicted, we will have another delayed canning season here in the Willamette Valley. When did I predict it? Back in March when we were getting snow during the first couple days of Spring (highly unusual for the Willamette Valley). I even said so on my post about March Madness: http://beavercountryramblings.blogspot.com/2012/03/it-looks-like-it-will-be-another-cold.html

Due to the cool, cloudy, and sometimes wet weather that the Willamette Valley is experiencing, crops are being delayed, which is delaying the local canneries. It seems that over the last three years, the season has been delayed a little bit longer. Last year some of the 2nd year workers at the Norpac in Stayton, Oregon (including myself) started on the strawberries around the 20th of June and were still working by December 1st. (I heard that a normal season is done by Thanksgiving) So what's in store for us this year? Will the cannery season go into the second week in December?

No comments:

Post a Comment