Saturday, December 21, 2013

Favorites of 2013

As the year winds down, I thought I should post what my favorite things from this year were. Starting with pictures that I have taken at different events and places, and ending with my favorite places I visited this year. Some of you may have seen or read about these places and events in my other blogs, Mid-Willamette Explorer and Travels of Oregon.

When it comes to my favorite pictures, it is hard to narrow them down, so I will show my favorite 12.

 South Falls at Silver Falls State Park

 South Falls Lodge at Silver Falls State Park

 Thompson's Mills State Park

 Country meadow east of Oregon City

 Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge

 Mt. Thielson and Diamond Lake

Waiting at the end during Independence's Western Days parade.

 Native Oregonian dancing at the World Beat Festival.

Geese on the lake at Aumsville Ponds County Park
 
 Stayton-Jordan Bridge

 McKay Falls at Scotts Mills County Park (Scotts Mills, OR)

Sun breaking through the trees at Silver Falls State Park

When it comes to my favorite place to visit for this past year, it would be easier to say which places fell short of my standards. But, here goes with the top five:

5 Erratic State Park

Located west of Salem, this state park is one of the smallest, if not the smallest, in Oregon. A small trail leads up a hill from a roadside parking area to a cluster of rocks. While the park was built to preserve the rocks that came from Montana in the last Ice Age, the view from the rocks is well worth it to stop by for a picnic. My suggestion, bring some friends along on a Fall wine tour and stop by the park for a picnic on the rock, there is even a vineyard right next door.


4 Aumsville Ponds County Park

Located east of Salem, this small park boasts a trail, a small lake, and a fishing platform. The locals frequent the lake in summer as they jump off the small island into the water. My suggestion, avoid the summer crowds and come during October when the migrating Geese visit, the Autumn colors also add to the experience.


3 Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge

Located south of Salem, this refuge is mainly for the birds, and therefore great for those who love watching birds. While there are many open places to view the wildlife, you usually need a good set of binoculars and a great camera to see them and take photos. My suggestion, walk down one of the boardwalks that wind through the refuge,  as they usually take you to a viewing blind closer to the birds.


2 Silver Falls State Park

Located east of Salem, this park is always a great place to go. Unfortunately, if you always walk the same trails in the same time of year, it can become a little boring. My suggestion, go in the middle of winter to see the waterfalls with 6-foot long icicles.



1 Scotts Mills County Park

Located east of Salem, this county park was once the location of a mill. Today, you can still see the old pond that diverted water from McKay Falls along with the remnants of a dam at the top of the falls. A short trail near the entrance of the park takes you closer to the base of the waterfall. My suggestion, come during Autumn as the Foliage goes well with McKay Falls.


No comments:

Post a Comment