Saturday, May 19, 2012

Silver Falls State Park Volunteer Day 2012

So, last weekend I found out from Park Ranger Dylan that they would have a State Park Volunteer Day today. There were three options to help out with: repairing bridges, making a new trail, and mapping invasive species along the canyon trail. I decided the third choice.

I got to the park this morning around 8:45 to check in and sign a few papers. Then I was off with a small group of about 8 as we were shown different invasive species and given a map and a specific species to map. I ended up having to map Creeping Buttercup. What a pain that was! I saw so few that I thought I wasn't looking for them good enough. If what I saw was all there was, than it is good that they have not become a huge problem.

By staying near Ranger Dylan, I did get to learn a lot about the native species. I got to see Skunk Cabbage, which I have seen before but never at the park. I also saw Trailing Blackberry, Western Trillium, Siberian Miner's-lettuce, Three-leaved Anemone, and many other plants that I either have not seen before, or have seen but not known what they were. Today was a very educational day.

But by the time I was hiking the Rim Trail on the way back, my bad right hip was hurting quite a bit, especially when I was hiking uphill. And due to carrying a backpack with my lunch and a few other stuff in it weighing 10 - 15 pounds, my shoulders are now sore. But I don't mind, it was worth the exercise and learning about some of the plants. By the way, many of the plants are blooming, unfortunately the Trillium had already bloomed, so if I want a picture, I need to get one next year.

Have you helped out lately at your nearest state or national park?

No comments:

Post a Comment